Saturday 30 May 2020

Ihsahn - Stridig


Norwegian black metal vet and EMPEROR founder/vocalist IHSAHN has released a new EP, "Telemark", February 14 via Candlelight. It features three new originals and two covers of IRON MAIDEN's "Wrathchild" and, perhaps more surprisingly, Lenny Kravitz's "Rock and Roll Is Dead". Maybe one will be here on one of the Thursday Covers in the future, who knows. IHSAHN has announced two EPs dedicated to his home region of Telemark, where the first one is out now.


For the EPs, he is drawing inspiration from Telemark, the scenic, mountainous southern region in Norway where EMPEROR was formed and IHSAHN has remained throughout his lengthy career. For the first time, his lyrics will be in Norwegian, and he’s let some of those early black metal aesthetics creep back into his songcraft for this first EP.


“The title of the EP is Telemark,” IHSAHN said in a press release. “It’s the county I grew up in and still live in, so the whole thing is situated there and very much inspired by that. So you could say it’s a roots-orientated album. I decided early on that I wanted this to be very purely related to black metal aesthetics. I wanted to distill the basic, bare bones black metal influences of my musical roots, given the overall concept, writing something for and from Telemark. I decided to do Norwegian lyrics for the first time, too. It feels very much closer to home in many ways.”

“My idea all along was that I would perform all the contents of this EP live, but to build the live set, piecing songs from my catalogue that fit with the aesthetics of the EP,” IHSAHN said. “I was very lucky to be able to collaborate with the Inferno Festival, so I’ll be premiering this show at Inferno in 2020. The plan is to then follow up this EP with its aesthetic and musical counterpart, wherein I can distill all those more progressive, experimental and mellow elements of my music.”



More info @

Official Ihsahn Web

Listen to ”Ihsahn - Stridig" on Spotify!



Follow tuneoftheday.blogspot.com on Spotify!

No comments: