Thursday 28 November 2013

Moonspell - Night Eternal

 

At first, I thought I'd conclude the short series av Rebel Angel Ramblings that puts the Swedish darkness and the month November in focus with something more grey than black. I thought of Icelandic Sólstafir and their loomy, grey and very autumn-like music.
I even started a post that way.
Then I just completely changed my mind.
Do not know why, but I felt like more darkness would be appropriate.
And I also happend to listen to Portugese metallers MOONSPELL, with their one-off great album "Night Eternal".
It is very strange, as for example the follow up "Alpha Noir/Omega White" is...mediochre. At best.
But "Night Eternal" is a great album!
Weird.

So, there are two songs that holds the flag high from "Night Eternal", the loomy power ballad "Scorpion Flower" (with guest vocals from dutch Anneke van Giersbergen) and the title track. I've chosen the title track, as this was the first contact I had with this record, and it is a great way to conclude the series of November music that has been rolling once a week during this month.
The track hits hard, I think.



So, the band then.
  • Fernando Ribeiro  – vocals (1989–present)
  • Miguel Gaspar  – drums (1992–present)
  • Pedro Paixão  – keyboard, guitar (1993–present)
  • Ricardo Amorim  – guitar (1995–present)
  • Aires Pereira  – bass (2007–present)

Personally, the thing I like the most with the song (and the record) is the vocals combined with the feeling the guitars and the keyboards create. It is almost a bit scary, but still with that quality that drags the listener in and keep them there.
A great song, a great way to finish this suite of posts from Chief Rebel Angel, with music that really fits the Swedish darkness. Even if it is from Portugal...

More info @

The Rebel Angel Ramblings Blog
Official Moonspell Web

spotifyListen to ”Moonspell - Night Eternal" on Spotify here!

spotifyFollow tuneoftheday.blogspot.com on Spotify here!

2 comments:

Spader Ess said...

Inte dumt, även om det är en bit från min egen bekvämlighetszon. Snyggt omslag och snygg video.

Kul och intressant serie att följa.

Stones said...

Tack för detta och välkommen åter någon dag framöver.