Sunday 10 January 2021

Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)

Sunday, time for a classic.

"I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free" is a jazz song written by Billy Taylor and Dick Dallas. Taylor's original version (as "I Wish I Knew") was recorded on November 12, 1963, and released on his Right Here, Right Now! album (Capitol ST-2039) the following year. His 1967 instrumental take was later used as the theme music for the Film... review programme series on BBC Television.

Taylor said: "I wrote this song, perhaps my best-known composition, for my daughter Kim. This is one of the best renditions I’ve done because it is very spiritual."

Enjoy today's tune with Nina Simone performs “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free” live at the Montreux Jazz Festival, 1976. This version can be found on the DVD and Album "Nina Simone Live at Montreux 1976". A widely played version was recorded by Nina Simone in 1967 on her "Silk & Soul" album.

Eunice Kathleen Waymon (February 21, 1933 – April 21, 2003), known professionally as Nina Simone, was an American singer, songwriter, musician, arranger, and civil rights activist. Her music spanned a broad range of musical styles including classical, jazz, blues, folk, R&B, gospel, and pop.



More info @

Official Nina Simone Web

Listen to ”Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)" on Spotify!



Follow tuneoftheday.blogspot.com on Spotify!

No comments: