Monday 26 August 2019

AC/DC - Shoot To Thrill


Time to present album number two out of ten of the assignments we got. "Choosing 10 vinyl albums that greatly influenced my taste". One album per day, 10 consecutive days. No explanations, no reviews, just covers. Every day I ask someone else to do the same." Throwing the ball on some nice figure at the social media Facebook.

"Back In Black" with AC/DC is a real classic, released almost 36 years ago, on July 25, 1980, the biggest-selling album by Australia's most exalted rock 'n' roll gods arrived less than six months after singer Bon Scott had been found dead after a night of heavy drinking. An album that I could consider to be the first rock 'n' roll / hardrock album that I bought with my own money that I have saved of my after school work on a Video store. I believe I was around 11 years old, did the 5th grade in School and was very interested in movies, so much of my spear time did I hang in local Video store up in the north (this was during the time when the movies was on VHS, Video2000 and Betamax), hehe feels like I'm a real old fart by now. Anyway, I started to get some small assignment to do and in the end he gave me some money that I saved. One of the biggest assignments I got was the "Packages" that this store had, this ment that I had to bicycle over to Finland with packages full of "Erotic" movies that he had sold over postorder. During the period of a few years the amount of turns to the other country increased. The postorder started to get big business for him and I got more work so I had to do several trips a day to the post office. Well in the end it was good for us both, I got some extra money for my effort so I could do what ever I wanted back them, fun as I always had a big love for music, specially rock 'n' roll. I remember that back then a tune called "Hells Bells" from an Australian band called AC/DC was played on the radio and I got hooked. So when I had enough money for the album I bought it. It felt awesome that I could spend my hard earning money on a album by my self :) So the first record was "Back In Black" with AC/DC. I still have the copy left, but it's totally worn out, I have probably played this more than I can count.

The album have so many good tunes beside the classic songs "Hells Bells", "Back In Black", "Shoot To Thrill", "You Shock Me All Night Long" and "Shake A Leg". It's pretty simple but still so cleaver rock riffs that can hook anyone, it just grabbed my soul as a youngster to the next level of music.



Today's tune "Shoot to Thrill" is a song by Australian hard rock band AC/DC. It is the second track on the 1980 album "Back In Black". This song is also the second track of AC/DC Live and AC/DC Live: 2 CD Collector's Edition, and is included on the Iron Man 2 soundtrack. Although the studio version was never released as a single, the song is a fan favorite and a staple on classic rock radio stations.

When explaining his lyrical inspiration for the song, lead singer and then-songwriter Brian Johnson recalled reading a UK article about a neighborhood pusher who made daily rounds (almost like a milkman) throughout the London suburbs, selling narcotics to bored, lonely, depressed housewives. These substance-effected homemakers would then peruse the local clubs and bars, seeking out torrid, extra-marital relationships. The term "Shoot to thrill.." most likely refers to certain solutions such as diazepam (valium), which is often administered via injection to treat anxiety and depression.

Lead guitarist Angus Young has recently commented that the song's 'break-down', which occurs soon after the main solo (a muted and repeating three chord sequence of A Major triad, G Major triad, and a D power-chord leading up to a bombastic outro-solo), was inspired by the trio gun-battle climax from Sergio Leone's classic, Italian western 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". In this seminal scene, gun-fighters Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach stare one another down in the center of a Civil-War cemetery for minutes-on-end to an eventual shoot-out. Young said this sequence in the song was designed to mirror the actual soundtrack selection 'Il Triello' by composer Ennio Morricone. Both compositions feature a slow quiet build-up, increasing in tension to a thunderous, cataclysmic finale. Enjoy!



More info @

Official AC/DC Web

Listen to ”AC/DC - Hells Bells" on Spotify!



Follow tuneoftheday.blogspot.com on Spotify!

No comments: