Thursday 2 November 2017

John Mellencamp - Easy Target


"Easy Target" is a tune taken from "Sad Clowns & Hillbillies" is the 23rd and latest studio album by American singer-songwriter and musician John Mellencamp. It was released on April 28, 2017 by Republic Records. The album features significant contributions from Carlene Carter, who worked with Mellencamp on Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, his musical collaboration with Stephen King, and Ithaca, the movie he scored for girlfriend Meg Ryan. Carter opened every show of Mellencamp's 2015–2016 Plain Spoken Tour.


The artwork on the front cover of Sad Clowns & Hillbillies was taken from a 2005 Mellencamp painting called "Twelve Dreams". Mellencamp said he saw an article that reviewed of one of his painting exhibits where "Twelve Dreams" was "stripped" and he then thought it would work as the album's cover art. He told Jim Kerr of iHeart Radio: "It never really dawned on me to use it for an album cover, but I saw a review of one of my painting shows and they had stripped it like that – you know, just that stripe – and I thought, 'That looks good for the album cover.' Because they were talking to me about doing a photo session and I went, 'I don't want to do that.'"

This marks the first time since 1991's Whenever We Wanted that Mellencamp has displayed one of his paintings on an album cover.



"Easy Target" is John’s reflection on the state of our country. An outspoken artist, Mellencamp continues his journey to convey the truth through this passionate and plain-spoken song. Mellencamp told Yahoo's Katie Couric: "I didn't even want to write the song. I know this sounds crazy, but it happens a lot, I think, to songwriters – you can't tell it by looking, but I was working out and all of a sudden I just started singing 'easy targets' and I thought, 'oh no, now I've got to stop what I'm doing' and it took me....you know, somebody just sent it to me and I just wrote it down. The melody came, the lyrics.....as fast as I could write is how long it took me to write the whole song".

Enjoy!



John Mellencamp performs "Easy Target" at Farm Aid 2017 at KeyBank Pavilion in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania, on September 16.

Farm Aid was started by Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp in 1985 to keep family farmers on the land and has worked since then to make sure everyone has access to good food from family farmers. Dave Matthews joined Farm Aid's board of directors in 2001.



More info @

Official John Mellencamp Web

Listen to ”John Mellencamp - Easy Target" on Spotify!



Follow tuneoftheday.blogspot.com on Spotify!



No comments: